Serving the Lord and the Community for Over 175 Years!
Located in Palmyra, Wisconsin, St. Matthew celebrates over 175 years of worship and ministry.
Established in 1844, St. Matthew is one of the first ten Lutheran churches organized in Wisconsin.
The church was originally known as “Skoponong” – which was adapted a Winnebago Indian word meaning “sweet scented” (referring to the Kettle Moraine area).
The early settlers who formed the congregation were mostly Norwegian. Services were held in members homes until 1849, when the first church of tamarack logs was built. This was replaced in 1869 with a frame structure that burnt down in 1936.
The congregation moved to its present site in 1937- purchasing an existing church structure built in 1894.
In 1960 the church name was changed to St. Matthew. A major addition was dedicated in November 1993 to add facilities, all with handicap accessibility.
St. Matthew belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).